Monday, January 30, 2017

PLANETOID: PRAXIS

PLANETOID: PRAXIS #1 goes on sale this week (on 2/1)

I wrote a postscript that will appear in the back of the comic.

So, rather than rewording it as a blog post, I figured I'd just post it here in it's entirety...

Also, I'm now on instagram: @ken_garing

More soon!

...





Greetings!

If you're reading this that probably means that you've both purchased and (more importantly) read the comic book you now hold in your hands. So first off, above all, thank you! This comic has been a long time coming...
PRAXIS is a sequel to my previous mini-series PLANETOID, which was published by Image in 2012-13. Four years is a much longer gap of time than I would have liked. But, as tends to happen, life gets in the way. Over these last few years I've traveled, lived in Japan for a bit, got married, and worked on a handful of different projects. As PLANETOID wrapped up, I jumped into a series of comics projects with different publishers. Some of which did not come to fruition and a handful that did.

It was always my intention to create my own original comics, but the offers from other publishers and writers to work on licensed projects seemed worth exploring to me. So that's what I did. I got a real education in comics during that time. But when the dust settled I was left without a project and no work on the shelves for months on end. I had to go back to the drawing board, literally.

PLANETOID was meant as a stand-alone story, but while working on it new characters and story possibilities kept popping up. When I decided to return to working on a new creator-owned comic, PRAXIS was already laid out in my mind.

Some of my early motivation for PLANETOID came from my observation of the lack of science-fiction comics on the market. By coincidence, PLANETOID saw publication around the same time as PROPHET and SAGA (both critically acclaimed sci-fi comics published by Image). Image has gone on to publish even more great science-fiction titles since. Of course, soon after, every other publisher followed suit. Now the market seems to be saturated with science-fiction comics.

But that's a good thing. We're living in weird, uncertain times and we need venues for artists to explore, question, and express their ideas. If that can best happen in the pages of new creator-owned science-fiction comic books, then I'm all for it.

My only hope is that PRAXIS won't get lost in the weekly avalanche of new titles. So, to that end, if you liked what you read here, please pre-order future issues, tell your retailer, tell your friends, make noise online... every bit helps! I know that with PLANETOID, whatever success it had was due entirely to the support of readers and retailers on the ground.

Also, I'm curious to hear from you guys and maybe publish some letters or fan art in these back pages (email me at: kengaring@gmail.com). I'm also going to try a little experiment in future issues by running some of my own short stories and art in these back pages.

And lastly, for those of you who have not read PLANETOID Vol.1, the collected trade paperback is available at comic shops and book stores as well as online.

Alright then, onward!

Ken Garing
January 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA



No comments:

Post a Comment